.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Long time no blog...

I haven't added a post to my blog in a while, as my gaming has been on the ebb the last few weeks. It's been a pretty dry month for gaming -- and only partially due to opportunity.

I did get to playtest some of the new options and rules I had been working on for Forbidden City and another beer n' pretzels sort of game I put together, as well as finally tried out Elasund. It was fun, but my gaming mood has been fairly mercurial lately.

I think the crux of it is that I really miss role playing games. I had played in a great Call of Cthulhu campaign that was aborted just as things heated up. Then a very interesting Eberron campaign that suddenly stopped. A few other D&D games dried up. And my attempts to get some AFMBE, Call of Cthulhu, Deadlands or Warhammer started have all fizzled. Ka Spuck.

So that's been a bit of a downer. Yet you'd think that'd make me appreciate the flexibility of boardgaming. If only 4 of the 5 can show up, you've got tons of good options available. But for me, boardgaming begins and ends there at the table. I rarely daydream about an upcoming session of boardgaming, and it lacks the creative output and opportunities to weave storylines and engage the other players.

With roleplaying games, only 50% of my enjoyment comes at the table -- there's just as much fun to be had with the session notes, planning encounters, kibitzing online with the other players about the plot, and all those sorts of supplemental exposure to the game.

So I've been a little "meh" about boardgaming. Yeah, it's fun, and I like socializing with my gaming buddies. But it's missing something. To fill the void, I've been playing City of Villains, the MMORPG. It's been a lot of fun, and quasi-fills the RPG need, but it's not perfect. Hopefully I'll be able to drum up some F2F RPG gaming soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home