.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Any Lucid Dreamers out There?

As odd and as kooky as it sounds, I am strongly considering purchasing this "Lucid Dreaming Kit" -- for both personal interest and for research, since I am currently developing a role playing game based on lucid dreaming... Otherwise, silly as it sounds, I may pass this along as an XMas gift idea to the wife.

Back in high school and into college, I used to have incredibly violent, gory and terrifying recurring dreams -- not like night terrors, per se -- but very vivid and very disturbing dreams which I would remember and carry with me throughout the day. As the day went on, the images and scenes would quickly fade, but the underlying sense of dread, forboding and terror would linger for hours.

My best friend in college gave a speech during a communications class on lucid dreaming. I had never heard of it before, but it intrigued me and we talked about it a lot. Based on our conversations and the constant stream of horrific dreams, I did a little bit of reading on the topic and decided to give it a shot. I tried lucid dreaming for a while, but only think that once or twice did I ever really "assert myself" and start to dictate the nature and resolution of these recurring dreams. After those few episodes of being enmeshed on a more conscious and controlled level, the dreams started receding, and occured with much less frequently.

I can't help but wonder if my sudden interest in the topic as the basis for the RPG is the quasi-science of it, or the fact that I've been having a few more of those really disturbing dreams again...

Are any of you lucid dreamers? Or given it a shot? What prompted you to do so? Would you recommend a particular book or program for lucid dreaming?

45 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home