.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Mental Mistakes >> My Most Common Gaming Gaffe

I tend to like games with a focus on the here-and-now and the short term, rather than elaborate, convoluted or long-term strategies and planning. Not that I can't make those sorts of plans... I just can't stick to them.

My Achille's heel as a gamer is most certainly my lack of focus and memory. Not that I don't pay attention to what's going on, or that I can't recall things like rules or how certain situations may resolve. I simply can't follow my own plans. This is sometimes attributable to distractions, but more often than not, just good ol' fashioned forgetfulness and idiocy on my part.

A good example. During my last playing of Blue Moon City, I made a concerted effort to be more mindful of churning cards and trying to manage my hand better. However, after completing my turn, I'd often look down at my hand and notice 1 or 2 cards I should have churned. But apparently forgot to consider. Ok, my bad. I'll remember next time around.

In fact, I even took the cards I wanted to churn and physically placed them in a different part of my hand, clearly separated from the others and out of sequence. But even this mnemonic (well, okay, it was a physical reminder, not a mental reminder, so whatever you call that) didn't help. After completing my turn, I look down at my hand and think to myself "Why are these two cards out of order over here?"

Gaaaah! It suddenly hits me what I've done. But rather than try to go back and see if the group would let me churn 'em, I prefer forcing myself to live with the consequences. I figure eventually I will learn from these mistakes. But let me tell you, I've been making an awful lot of them lately. You'd think I'd have learned a lot by now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home