.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Friday, August 04, 2006

The Collector's Curse!

So today I stopped by Target on the way to work. For no particular reason. I just had a need to delay getting to the office.

As I wandered through the store, I found myself (as I often do) in the toy section, checking to see if there were any new Heroscape boosters. After the last few series, there's usually been a nice large gap in that part of the shelf, where all the Heroscape stuff would be.

But today, as I drew closer, I realized there was no gap. No gap?! That means there's STUFF THERE! And sure enough, there are two large box expansion cases -- the frozen wasteland/Yeti set and another series of large-size figures featuring a griffon, a white dragon, a black dragon, a huge sword-wielding giant and another techno-borg thingie.

I don't know the names of the expansions. Because I never even bother looking. I just grab them, race to the checkout and drool over the anticipation of... Of...

Of nothing.

These expansions, much like the last two series of expansions (and the Hot Lava Death expansion) are destined to sit on a shelf, unopened, in the basement. I haven't even played Heroscape in the last 18 months. I've got 3 copies of the base set and 1 or 2 copies of each expansion since. Some are even open!

But the vast majority of Heroscape items will never get played, much less opened. So why do I still buy them? Why do I go out of my way to look for them? Because I'm a collector, cursed to pursue complete sets and new-in-shrink versions of games I know will never see the game table. To grab the 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition printings of games I scarcely like. To own multiple copies of a classic game "just in case" one gets damaged.

Of my current game collection, hovering somewhere around 575 games, I believe there were 150-175 that had yet been unplayed at last count, and of those, a good 25-35 of which were still NIS. There simply isn't enough time to get to play everything I'd like to play, but it's oddly comforting to know it's right there, should the time be right.

Yeah, like that'll happen.

So what about you? Are you cursed to collect, as well? What do you unerringly purchase knowing full well it will never get played?

3 Comments:

  • I purchase games that I'd like to play, even if no one that I know would play them in a million years. If I ever meet the right group, I don't want to be caught without the right game. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.

    By Blogger ekted, at 12:14 PM  

  • The upside: your in-shrink games could buy you a new car someday via eBay.

    By Blogger Rick, at 4:30 PM  

  • Some games I just want to have, so I get them. My money, my house, my rules! Mostly I do have a plan to play them, in fact I just realised that my last shipment of four games have ALL been played now. However when I get the new Memoir '44 expansions, I don't see much chance of playing them.

    By Blogger Friendless, at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home