.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Friday, June 02, 2006

One Was The Loneliest Number

May was a sad, sad month for gaming. The last week of May I desperately tried to get some more gaming in, but my schedule just didn't mesh well with anyone else's. I ended up getting one game in for the entire month -- one game, that's it! A single session of Hammer of the Scots, played the first weekend in May.

But looking back over May, while it was indeed a dry spell for gaming, I wasn't completely bereft of fun. I did put in some time playtesting the official Dungeons & Dragons GenCon Tournament Module for Goodman Games, which has been fun and let me re-connect with some of my RPG buddies whom I hadn't seen in several months.

My wife and I got to spend some quality time together killing things. One of our favorite past-times together is console RPG gaming. I had done some research for a good game, and had been holding out for one that had the right mix of elements to really grab (and hold) our attention. We're notorious for getting close to the end of a game, getting sick of it, and never finishing. Well, DragonQuest VIII for the PS2 is awesome, and just the sort of game we need. I think we logged about 24 hours of play into DQ in May, which has been a lot of fun.

We also discovered Firefly, the short-lived sci-fi/western show from the producer of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Firefly is simply, in a word, amazing. I can't believe it took us so long to come across it. The dialogue is wonderful, the characters are rich, the storylines are compelling and everything about the show is completely immersive. We got the first disc in the mail from Netflix, and watched all 4 hours in one sitting -- we couldn't tear ourselves away from the TV. And then we immediately purchased the entire series on DVD, cuz it's that good. And we've been enjoying it immensely.

And, hey, it's only June 2nd and I've already doubled my gaming output from May... Yesterday my wife and I played a game of Cosmic Cows, a Yahtzee variant from Playroom Games. It's nice Yahcht-style fun with nice bits (which Ben loves playing with). And I also logged a game of Condottiere online with Ekted, using the Vassal module he put together -- I was surprised how well it captures a face-to-face feel online (granted, that was clearly aided by the fact we were talking to each other via Skype at the time).

So two games down, and an entire month to go. June's looking pretty good! :)

4 Comments:

  • Welcome to Firefly fandom. Verily the show doth rock, and soon you too will be uttering the liturgy: "Why did they cancel this show?!?"

    By Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra, at 7:00 AM  

  • Firefly was fantastic! I think I synced the complete series with 4 different people online, then went out and bought it. The best episode by far is "Out of Gas". The event/time sequence and editing are incredible.

    Condottiere was fun. It will take me a while to get through all the changes/tweaks we discussed.

    By Blogger ekted, at 7:29 AM  

  • I am baffled by the failure of Firefly on TV, as it should have easily slid into the void between STNG and Galactica... I can't imagine why it wasn't an unmitigated, smashing success. I can't get enough of these characters and the attention to detail in their vernacular, turns of phrase and overall dialogue.

    And Malcolm has some of the best lines I've ever seen from a protagonist on a TV show. Some of the lines, based on the wonderful context provided by the episode, are among the most poignant or hilarious things ever uttered. My wife and I are already referencing lines and situations from the series on a regular basis.

    By Blogger Jason Little, at 8:16 AM  

  • Another Firefly fan here. I agree that Mal has some wonderful lines, made all the better because someone in the position he's usually in shouldn't sound that cocky! Fun show.

    Now since you're a fellow PS2 owner, I have to rave about my newest addiction: Guitar Hero. Even my husband and son are drawn into playing and they aren't video gamers. My son, who immediately went out and bought his own copy, has called me twice to tell me, "This game sucks!" because he can't put it down even though it's kicking his butt.

    By Blogger sodaklady, at 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home