.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Wargames on the brain >> An odd feeling

I haven't had a lot of time to play games, let alone daydream about them. So I find it quite odd that I've been thinking about wargames a lot lately. Not just thinking abstractly or distantly about them, but thinking how it might be fun to track down a few and add them to my collection.

Wargames are easily the most under-represented area of my game collection. I've got a lot of designer/Eurogames, lots of traditional card and boardgames, "old school" GW and Avalon Hill games, party games, dice games and the like. But very few wargames.

And even among the wargames in my collection, they tend to be on the lighter side. Memoir '44, Battlecry, Axis & Allies: D-Day come to mind. I've also got Wizard Kings and Hammer of the Scots from Columbia. I have the solo-play Thunderbolt/Apache Leader from GMT (sadly having purged Hornet Leader years ago). And finally, I have Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage and The Napoleonic Wars -- which are probably the heaviest and perhaps the only truly "grognardian" wargames in my collection. Other than a few minor conflict games I'd hesitate to call wargames (SJG's Coup, Necromancer and Ogre, for example), that's just about it.

I think one reason I've generally steered clear of wargames is that I tend to game with larger groups of people, 3-6 gamers at a time, and most wargames don't lend themselves to groups of that size. But with my sudden shift in schedule and available gaming time (with the new job) I think I'll find that my availability doesn't match up as well with larger groups any more, and I may find myself in the position if both planning ahead (eegads!) for my game time, and possibly playing more 2 or 3 player games.

So I find myself interested in acquiring a few new wargames. The problem -- there are several kajillion games out there, of varying complexity and with varying time requirements. I'd really like to ease myself in, I'm just not sure how. I don't think I want to push beyond a 3 hour timeframe to be able to play a complete game, which helps narrow the field... My favorite time periods for war would probably be Ancient Greek or Roman, Medieval (not necessarily fantasy) and American Civil War. But basically anything before mechanized units or airplanes would appeal more.

Any ideas?

4 Comments:

  • Want to learn ASL? :)

    By Blogger ekted, at 7:33 AM  

  • Command and Colors: Ancients. The bits are eh (although you could buy your own minis, if you're really die-hard). However, the Command and Colors system is *ideal* for ancients wargaming.

    DBA (De Bellis Antiquitatis) might be worth a look, too.

    By Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra, at 10:00 AM  

  • Command & Colors: Ancients, yes, yes! The blocks work great and are easier to move and store than minis--don't let that influence you. The system works great for the time represented and there's plenty of strategy/tactics while keeping the rules relatively light.

    By Blogger sodaklady, at 11:51 AM  

  • I know it's Metro East, but you might want to consider joining the wargamers who have been meeting:

    http://boardgames.meetup.com/9/events/4925334/

    Timothy

    By Blogger Timotab, at 6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home