.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Thursday, May 25, 2006

FrEaKiNg OuT!

As in, that's what I'm doing right now.

Since the Geekway to the West nearly a month ago now, I have played one single game -- that's it. I've been oppressively pressed for time. With the new job, suddenly that concept of "free time" seems purely fictitious. What little time exists between getting home from work and going to bed is consumed by household tasks and spending time with the family.

I didn't realize just how much I took my previous flexibility and freedom for granted. Now if I need to go grocery shopping, that has to be planned around the window between 5:45 PM and 7:30 PM. Shipping something off to a fellow Geek now means skipping lunch to hit the post office instead.

Reading? What's that? I had been reading at a fairly good clip, but now, I'm too exhausted to read, and haven't picked up either book I started in more than a month. Check that, now the only thing I read is technical/programming books (currently immersed in the spine-tingling thriller that is DotNetNuke ASP.NET Portal Solutions for DNN 3.0).

I can barely even keep up with the email threads from the various usergroups and gaming groups I belong to. Several of my gaming buddies have been able to get together and game, and for the first time in what feels like forever, I'm "that guy" -- you know, the guy who can never make it, the guy who says he's too tired to game tonight, the guy who has to cancel at the last moment. I never, ever thought I'd be that guy. Especially since I used to game 3-4 times per week.

So now I'm paranoid about when oh when I'll be able to get some serious gaming in again. With greater flexibility and freedom, I'd often play anything at any time, and generally didn't pick nits about game preferences. Now, I don't want to risk what precious little time I might have to game on something less than stellar. That'd be pretty disappointing.

How do folks cope with being, well, "adults" and having to contend with responsibilities and duties without ever having the time to work on them? AAAAUGH!!! I am totally freaking out about this. I don't know how long I can last w/o gaming being an omnipresent outlet for stress release, creativity or social interaction.

How do you manage?
How do you get yourself through the day?

FrEaK oUt!

5 Comments:

  • I'm always here for you, Jason. If you have a spare hour, give me a poke. :)

    By Blogger ekted, at 7:11 AM  

  • Hour... Spare hour?? I'd be happy for a spare 15 minutes! And if I did happen to stumble across such a treasure trove of available time, I'd probably just want to lie down and take a nap! :P

    Anyway, our timing has been pretty bad the last few weeks, Ekted. How many times did we just miss being able to get together to game?

    By Blogger Jason Little, at 7:27 AM  

  • Well, 15 minutes isn't enough time to play most games. We can always chat about gaming for 15 minutes...ya right. :)

    By Blogger ekted, at 7:55 AM  

  • Jay,

    Welcome to my life. :) Just kidding, it's not that bad once you adjust. It just takes a bit of planning and prioritization. However, there's just no way that you're going to be able to get in the same amount of gaming that you used to. How did it go?

    Anger
    Denial
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

    Jim, lucky you that you've retired at 40! :P

    By Blogger Rick, at 8:17 PM  

  • 37! :)

    By Blogger ekted, at 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home