.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Geekway to the West >> A Smashing Success

Just wanted to drop a quick line to tell everyone how smoothly the Geekway went. Despite my anxieties, it can be considered nothing short of a complete, total, sweeping and utterly enjoyable sucess. I'd like to thank all the volunteers and attendees for making the Geekway to the West such a great event -- I'm already eager for next year, despite sheer exhaustion.

A few quick hits as I muddle through my records. I'm still trying to tally everything up, but I think we had 55-60 registered attendess stop by to play games, with another 8-10 guests tagging along to get some Geek in.

More than 100+ games went out via the Swap Table or as attendance prizes, and dozens (if not hundreds) of games were logged. The Swap Table (where people got to "draft" games in exchange for games they donated) had a lot of great titles -- including Command & Colors: Ancients, Deflexion, Liberte, Primordial Soup, Fresh Fish, Attika, Epic Duels, Maharaja, Candamir: The First Settlers, Siena, Battleline, Settlers of the Stone Age, Inka, For Sale, Street Soccer... most new in shrink! Wow.

Nine Geeks who couldn't attend were "Adopted" by our St. Louis gamers. Each adopted Geek received a free attendance prize ticket, so he could participate vicariously in the Geekway. Six of the nine won prizes! By the end of the day, I'd guesstimate that 3/4 of the people who attended walked away with something.

Folks who left early, missed out on a massive 22 player game of Werewolf -- won by the nefarious Chester "I'm not a real sleestak" Ogborn on behalf of his slain werewolf brethren.

The night was capped off with a rousing 32 player Monkey Madness tournament, the signature game of Geekway to the West. Crag Zipse (flying in from Atlanta for the Geekway) cut through the first two rounds and won a thrilling final round, with Aaron Michelson coming in a close second.

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. I only wish I could have gotten a few more games in with a few more people. Oh well, there's always Geekway to the West 2007!!

I'm also thrilled with how close to my true goal we got -- I wanted to break even. We came within $15 of breaking even in terms of recuping costs for the facility, food, prizes and other administration/preparation costs. Not bad!

I'll post the complete prize list, games played lists, highlights and more details as I recover my wits and organize my thoughts...

3 Comments:

  • Congratulations! Sounds like a terrific event. You can be very proud.

    By Blogger Gerald McD, at 8:02 PM  

  • Good job! Although it's not really clear from your entries what, exactly, this thing is, it appears to involve games in some fashion, in something that turned out well in a wit-scattering way.

    This is Jim, by the way. You should watch Jeopardy on Friday, June 30th; Susannah will be on then.

    I had to make a blog just to write that. Deeply lame or fabulously futile? You decide.

    By Blogger homullus, at 1:18 PM  

  • Hey Jim -- congrats! That's smashingly cool.

    The Geekway to the West is the (now annual) boardgaming convention I host here in St. Louis... It's a lot of hard work, but certainly a labor of love.

    Hope you and Susannah are doing well!

    By Blogger Jason Little, at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home