.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sarcasm, Thy Name Is... Me?

I'm just in one of those brooding moods today. I'm usually a pretty chipper guy (all things considered) but some recent postings and comments by my fellow geeks got my inner jerk all riled up. Society is so hypersensitive that things are easily taken out of context -- people read between the lines and try to be offended.

It's a personal version of the litigious nature of life: if someone does something you would normally be indifferent toward, make a big stink about it and turn the tables so it's suddenly all about you. Crikey. It really gets under my skin.

I don't go out of my way to offend people. I'm not that sort of jerk. But I do get frustrated at how ridiculous some people are... Seeing gender bias, racism or other prejudices were there simply aren't any. Recently, I've seen this trend in boardgaming, where people get all up in arms about perceived problems (sometimes having to really stretch to get that sleight in there).

I've sounded off on this in my recent GeekList, titled The Darker Side of Gaming >> Insensitive, Controversial and Morally Reprehensible Games. It is my most ambitious and purely selfish posting in a while. It was a heckuva lot of fun to write, and more than a little cathartic.

Here's the lead-in blurbage:

I like to think that I'm a fairly cultured, well-educated and contemporary person. That I'm socially conscious, spiritually grounded and make efforts to empathize with my fellow. As such, I am shocked (and slightly embarrassed) by the huge number of incredulously insensitive, politically incorrect and downright reprehensible games that eat away at the moral fabric of the boardgaming community. I can't possibly be the only person who feels this way.

Please, share my outrage.

I am baffled. How publishers can sleep at night while developing and distributing these social diseases and value-crippling pathogens. What ever happened to pride, dignity and compassion? What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home