.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Now *that's* a lot of games! Sadly, unplayed.

Wow. I have a ton of games. My collection right now hovers around 500 or so boardgames and card games. If I threw in unique role playing game settings (not just supplements), that would probably add another 75 or so titles to the mix.

Sadly, I have a large number of unplayed games in my collection.

Every time I sift through my games, I stumble across games I ought to get to the table, games I know will never see the light of day again, and every once in a while, a game I totally forgot I even owned.

With so many games to choose from, a game really has to impress me to see the table more than once, but I'd like to make a greater effort to set aside some table time for some of these unplayed games in my collection. Some will be easier to get to the table than others, but I really need to lobby for some of these.

I started listing all my unplayed games over on BoardGameGeek. Being the thing I do, I put them together in a GeekList. But I have so damn many of them, I'm going to have to break it inot several lists... I started listing them alphabetically, and cut off the first GeekList after just getting through A-D in my collection -- with a staggering 38 games unplayed in that range alone!

I've got the feeling that by the time I'm done, I may discover that a full 20-25% of my collection is unplayed. Yikes.

In case you're interested, here's a link to my GeekList of games unplayed in my collection (A-D).

4 Comments:

  • I know where you're coming from. My collection just broke the 300 mark and I shudder to think how many of them I haven't ever played (I'd estimate the number to be around 200). Sad..

    Sadder even is the number of brand new, sealed games that I haven't even opened yet. Stuff like Domaine, Candamir, Valley of the Mammoths, Azteca, Vegas Showdown, and Magna Grecia.

    Wow...actually didn't realize it until I started typing how many sealed ones I do have. And I just keep buying more...somebody stop me! ;-)

    By Blogger Boardgameplayer, at 8:57 AM  

  • Thanks for sharing your sob story here and over on your site... Suddenly, my collection of 120 or so unplayed games doesn't seem so bad! I can easily afford to get at least 50 more never-to-be-played games before feeling guilty...

    :)

    By Blogger Jason Little, at 12:19 PM  

  • I am running at only about 5 out of 150. You guys make me feel good! Of course, I have about 100 which are underplayed :-(.

    By Blogger Friendless, at 5:11 PM  

  • When I disposed of 150 games last year, the lot included many unplayed games. I've decided to not let that happen again. My collection now numbers less than 100, and I believe that only about 5 of them are not yet played. My strategy is to play the unplayed ones at least once before buying any new ones. I'm beginning to feel the pinch -- my "wish list" is growing at least as quickly as my unplayed list is diminishing. Still, it's a good feeling to not have lots of unplayed games on hand.

    By Blogger gamesgrandpa, at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home