.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Friday, February 24, 2006

The Highlander Collection >> There Can Be Only One!!

(This is a notification of a new GeekList posted over on BGG)

I love seeing hot lists, favorite games and collections over on BoardGameGeek, or the fanciful daydreaming of questions such as "If you were stranded on a desert island with only 10 games...." etc.

So here's my twist on the classic conundrum. For whatever contrivance floats your boat (messy divorce, hot lava death, termites), you need to assemble a gaming collection from scratch -- with one iNsAnE caveat: There Can Be Only One Game Per Designer!!

That's it -- just one Reiner Knizia game... One Sid Sackson game. And so on. The real trick here is that you may not necessarily pick your absolute favorite game from a designer, because you also need a nice, well-rounded collection. If your favorite game from several designers are all auction/bidding games, the collection will become too lopsided.

So please join in and help me decide what the Ultimate Highlander Game Collection would include. One game per designer, as diverse a selection of formats, mechanics, playing times and interests as possible. And just to make it more interesting, only 10 games total can be included in the collection, and only from designers with at least 4 games to their credit.

It's a lot tougher than it sounds, as there are so many great arguments to include certain games, and much tougher arguments for keeping them off the list. So wander on over to BoardGameGeek and read my picks -- and then tell me what you think.

4 Comments:

  • I long ago decided that if given the choice I'd rather limit my collection to a single designer (Knizia) rather than have one of each. The only game that I'd truly regret losing is Princes of Florence. Compared to Knizia, the output of all the other designers combined is trivial in terms of both quantity and quality.

    By Blogger Rick, at 7:02 PM  

  • While that may be true, Reiner is not without his pedestrian games. For every Traumfabrik there is a Pickomino. While his great games truly are great, his bad games are lowly regarded enough that across his entire collection, RK would have a lower average rating than someone like Leo Colovini, Richard Borg or Derk Henn based on my gaming tastes.

    By Blogger Jason Little, at 11:36 PM  

  • Sure, but the argument here is whether I'd take one game from each designer, or all of Reiner's games and none from anyone else. Besides, I can be quite contrary to popular BGG opinion. Clash of the Gladiators is a big hit in my group - few other people seem to think it's worth a second look.

    I forgot that I'll also sorely miss Torres. If I could keep everything by Knizia and Kramer, I'd be quite content never playing anything from anyone else. :)

    By Blogger Rick, at 4:08 AM  

  • Oh, and I wouldn't miss anything from Colovini (Magna Grecia is very good but hardly essential), and Borg and Henn haven't made anything I thought highly enough of to even remotely consider purchasing... Third place in my personal continuum of boardgame designers would be Dorn, and I can live without Goa, Traders or Louis.

    By Blogger Rick, at 4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home