.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Monday, August 15, 2005

The Storm *Before* The Calm Before The Storm

Whew! What a crazy weekend. Some friends came in from out of town to visit, arriving in St. Louis just in time for one helluva storm. We had some serious wind whipping through, snapping branches right off the trees, and sending anything not latched down flying down the streets -- garbage cans, recycling bins, etc.

Well, the wind was strong enough that it knocked out the power around 3:30 PM on Saturday. And we didn't get power back until afternoon on Monday -- almost 48 hours without electricity. We had to throw out nearly everything in our fridge and freezer. But that wasn't the worst of it. Being without TV and Xbox was bad. But that wasn't the worst of it, either.

No computer, internet, email or BoardGameGeek. Now that was rough!

Especially since I had so much left to do to prepare for GenCon. Character sheets to finish. Creature encounters to print. Files to transfer to the laptop. Software to install. PDF rule sets to create. Prototypes to complete. I was about as nervous and anxious as you could get. A raw bundle of nerves.

Thankfully our friends Phil and Diane let me work at their place. I just packed up my computer and everything I needed and camped out there for a while until our power was back on. Then today was spent scrambling to finish all the other last minute projects. I'm not done yet, but I'm getting closer. Hard to believe that GenCon is already here -- I head out tomorrow (Tuesday) and will be in Indianapolis through Sunday afternoon.

Finally things are starting to calm down again, before the flurry of activity of the Convention. So sandwiched between the nerve-rattling power outage and the weeklong gaming binge, I may be able to grab a few hours of sleep tonight. Maybe.

I'm fairly well organized, have all my projects and prototypes ready to go, and can't wait to get to the convention this year to run the Vault of the Dragon Kings tournament and participate in the Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising movie tie-in events. With so much to look forward to at this year's convention, somehow I think I won't be getting that much sleep, after all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home