.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thinking Out Loud

Monday, August 22, 2005

GenCon >> The Recovery

I'll write more as my energy, and health, return, but GenCon was exhausting -- both literally and figuratively. For those that heard me mention I had been experiencing headaches, shaking, numbness in my hands, dizziness and fatigue over the course of the convention, I think we nailed down the cause: malnutrition. I ate a grand total of 5 meals and 6 meal replacement bars from Tuesday night through Sunday afternoon -- supplemented by liters of diet soda and the occassional orange juice.

I was scheduled into so many events, appointments, meetings and booth times that I rarely took the time to eat properly over the course of the convention. Do Not Let That Happen To You!!! I'm still recovering now, after a few sturdy, home cooked meals and constant water drinking. All said and done, I lost nearly 15 pounds in 6 days, dropping from 212 when I weighed myself Monday the 15th, to weighing in at 197 when I got home yesterday (Sunday the 21st).

Unfortunately, the side effects of my erratic eating blurred a good portion of my GenCon experience in my mind. Goodman Games had a successful weekend, and I heard a lot of great fan reaction to some of the books I wrote, which was a good sign. I was able to show off a few prototypes, which was also a good thing -- looks like at least two will be picked up in the next month, with a few prototypes being sent out for further review by prospective publishers. I met a lot of great BoardGameGeek people, but didn't have the time or energy to hang out and game -- that's the biggest disappointment for me over the weekend.

Fortunately, I was able to spend quite a bit of time with Steve Zamborsky (Zambo) and Denise Patterson-Monroe (Denise). They are both great people, and are easily the sort of folks I'd want to hang out with at or away from the gaming table. I miss them already! In fact, I have yet to meet someone from BGG that I haven't gotten along with -- even you, Morgan :)

I also got to briefly meet-and-greet Morgan Dontaville (sisteray), Anye Sellers (dietevil), Ted Torgerson, Kevin Bender (futurescaper), Rhonda Bender (wren), Valerie Putnam (statonv), Rick Thornquist (rthornqu), Chris Brooks (CaptainCaveman), Jim Ginn (ginn5j) and probably a dozen others I just can't remember... Sorry! It's nothing personal.

3 Comments:

  • I remember having the same problem at the first con where I was running demos. From that point forward, I made sure that I carried food with me so that I could eat in between demos. The food had to have real nutritional value, too. Candy bars and Mountain Dew don't count!

    By Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra, at 11:23 AM  

  • I had those Slimfast Meal Replacement bars on me, but that didn't cut it. I'm still recovering now, feeling weakened and fatigued, and have yet to put any of the weight back on.

    I'll be far more careful in the future... It was pretty creepy toward the end how badly I was shaking and how terrible the headaches were.

    BTW Seth - I stopped by the Forge booth and talked to Ron Edwards and Ralph Mazza a bit at the Con, and they all spoke glowingly about you and Alyria. Can't wait to make a trip up to Peoria to meet you and try it out!

    By Blogger Jason Little, at 11:39 AM  

  • Hah! I have fooled them all!

    By Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra, at 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home